Chances are if you're middle-aged, life sure can be challenging some days... and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you needn't read any further.
There's a "scientific" equation to support this widely accepted social institution, if you were wondering.
Consider yourself middle aged when, taking your age and doubling it, it is no longer a tragedy if you assume room temperature.
You know... bite the dust, cash in your chips, check out, depart, expire, perish, go to a better place, hop the twig, "join the choir invisible", kick the calendar, meet your Maker, your number's up, push up daisies, step off, wipe out, "shuffle off this mortal's coil", die etc...
Wow, did you know there were so many w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶p̶e̶t̶ euphemisms for the end* (see my favorite at the bottom)
The happiness curve
Studies have shown that there's an actual "happiness curve" in our human life.
Life satisfaction falls “for the first couple of decades of adulthood,” hits bottom in the late 40s or early 50s “and then, until the very last years, [increases] with age. (you can read more about it here)
Today at a time
It is said that "a man who understands the truth in the morning can die contentedly in that evening", or :
"If you have ever lived one complete moment, you can be ready to die. You can say, ”Well, that was it, that was the good—I've had it.”"
Seems that when there is an element of scarcity, or uniqueness, to any particular thing, we tend to enjoy it, and value it more.
It's quality over quantity my friends, not necessarily what we do in life, but how we do it. How fully we live our moments. How present we are. How much we feel life.
It is said:
"Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift. That's why it is called
One of my favorite quotes.
And this is what I will leave you with. An eclectic compilation of verbal inspiration to carry you through any day that needs some encouraging, positive, bold, kind, funny, "big picture" , worthy expressions and quotes.
1. “The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." Bill Hicks
2. "You are an aperture through which the Universe is looking at itself." Alan Watts
3. To be afraid of life is to be afraid of yourself.
4. "Nature loves courage." Terrence McKenna
5. "Risk being seen in all of your glory." Jim Carrey
6. The most generous thing you can do is to receive everything.
7. "A warrior thinks of his death when things become unclear. The idea of death is the only thing that tempers our spirit." Carlos Castaneda
8. This is your life, good to the last drop
Doesn't get any better than this
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
listen to the full song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EA6WF-Xxo
9. The quality of life is, in proportion, always to the capacity for delight.
The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention.
11. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne Williamson
12. "The Universe is an engine for the production of novelty. Novelty is the life of the party, and the life of the party is to be high-spirited." Terrence Mckenna
13. "You show yourself on the desktop of the world." Caroline McHugh
14. "There is no way to happiness; happiness IS the way."
15. "The Great way is not difficult for those who have no preferences. When desire and fear are both absent, everything becomes clear and undistinguished. Make the smallest distinction however, and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart." Lao Tzu
16. Feelings are just visitors. Let them come and go.
17. “The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed.” A. Einstein
18. Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
19. "Everyone should be able to do one card trick, tell two jokes, and recite three poems, in case they are ever trapped in an elevator." Lemony Snicket
20. Creative wok is, in its essence, an offering of the soul.
21. Perfection is the enemy of life.
Strive then, not for perfection, but Excellence.
22. "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Pablo Picasso
23. The supreme act of loving starts with self-love.
24. NOW is all you have.
25. " It is with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." A. Saint-Exupery
26. "The whole of life lies in the verb "seeing""
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
28. "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"
29. "Thus you shall think of this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud
A flickering lamp, a phantom and a dream." The Buddha
30. "Everything in the world is gloriously meaningless." Alan Watts
31. "Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us and glimpsed the crimes, follies and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mother's wombs, and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number of very fat, very irritated women." Lemony Snicket
32. A mural is a place, a feeling, a mirror of the mind.
33. "Today a young man on acid realized that
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration,
We are all one consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively,
There is no death,
Life is only a dream, and
We are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." Bill Hicks
34. Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
35. "But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.” Bill Hicks
Let me know your favorite one, guys!
And if this post resonated with you, please Like and Share , and Recommend Mural Dreams on your favorite media!
* "pushing up daisies"